Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is all my DATA going?

Default Where is all my DATA going?

I am getting pretty tired of this. I made sure everything was off except one computer today because somehow over the last 4 days all my data was disappearing. This morning I logged in and saw that I had 1.2 gig of data left to last me until May 12th. Made sure I just did some normal low usage surfing and sent a couple of emails and now I am on slow speed. Used over 1.2 gig today and didn't do anything. I have used over a gig a day for the last week and I was out of town for 4 days and my wife and kids swear they didn't hardly use it. I had 5 gig of data on my other plan and never went over and have only went over once since I had wildblue and that was at Christmas when the kids got new stuff. I logged into my modem today because I couldn't get online and my modem status was undefined yet the packets of data were flying out and I couldn't even get connected to the internet. I am getting fed up with this again. Had Wildblue before and canceled after 18 months. Came back when excede came along. Now I think I am getting screwed again. Also sucks when any rain comes along it seems to be more sensitive than the old sat. No other choice out here except Hughes and when y contract is over in a year I will have to give them a try because my neighbor seems to have a lot less trouble with Gen 4. I know nothing can be done because with these guys from what I have read on this forum the customer is never right. Just have to vent and get it out there.

I agree! i was thinking that the other day.. whatever happen to the customer is always right?
    Surf Beam 2
    Beam 155
    Gateway Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by Olmankutchey View Post
    when any rain comes along it seems to be more sensitive than the old sat
    Call your support folks, and have them look at your SVT stats.
    WB-1: 163 Riverside, CA Gateway: Denver AcceleNet Server

Quote Originally Posted by Phainein View Post
    Call your support folks, and have them look at your SVT stats.
    What are SVT stats again?

I noticed that after the update to the monitoring software that my Data went away very quickly as well. My router is programmed to warn me if I get close to the limit and it did not give any alerts.

I have noticed that the speeds are still slower and I have to reload a lot-- which probably does increase the usage, but I don't think it would increase it that much and its not like I've been doing a lot of loading.

Is anyone else finding that it claims their usage is going faster than it should be?

SVT = Service Visibility Tool. Only available to technicians and tech support. shows various parameters to determine quality of installation and for troubleshooting.
    Exede Dealer/Installer. Serving Middle Tennessee (Greater Nashville Area)

Quote Originally Posted by zannej View Post
    I have noticed that the speeds are still slower and I have to reload a lot
    Viasat offers three different services:

Wildblue Legacy

Exede-5

Exede-12

So, which service do you have?

Further, if your upload speed is being clamped down, wait for web page to load.
    WB-1: 163 Riverside, CA Gateway: Denver AcceleNet Server

Quote Originally Posted by Olmankutchey View Post
    I am getting pretty tired of this. I made sure everything was off except one computer today because somehow over the last 4 days all my data was disappearing. This morning I logged in and saw that I had 1.2 gig of data left to last me until May 12th. Made sure I just did some normal low usage surfing and sent a couple of emails and now I am on slow speed. Used over 1.2 gig today and didn't do anything. I have used over a gig a day for the last week and I was out of town for 4 days and my wife and kids swear they didn't hardly use it. I had 5 gig of data on my other plan and never went over and have only went over once since I had wildblue and that was at Christmas when the kids got new stuff. I logged into my modem today because I couldn't get online and my modem status was undefined yet the packets of data were flying out and I couldn't even get connected to the internet. I am getting fed up with this again. Had Wildblue before and canceled after 18 months. Came back when excede came along. Now I think I am getting screwed again. Also sucks when any rain comes along it seems to be more sensitive than the old sat. No other choice out here except Hughes and when y contract is over in a year I will have to give them a try because my neighbor seems to have a lot less trouble with Gen 4. I know nothing can be done because with these guys from what I have read on this forum the customer is never right. Just have to vent and get it out there.
    Based on what you've said, I have a theory about what might be happening with your service. If your dish is slightly out of alignment, it would explain both issues of your data usage, and your signal strength in rainy weather. When the dish is properly aligned, it will maintain a solid signal strength and uptime during all weather except very strong thunderstorms and blizzards. If it's a tiny bit out of alignment, then it will struggle to punch the radio signal through rainy weather. Also, if it's out of alignment, it will cause the system to try and re-try to send data as it tries to maximize the signal strength. It all seems to add up. I strongly suggest you call our customer service and arrange a service call to have a technician check your system. The SVT values indicate your signal strength, and our customer service reps can view them when you call. I hope this helps. Thank you.

About 3 days ago I too noticed that I was losing/using much more of my 10Gb than was right. I also started to have problems such that I couldn't get to websites that I'd been getting to for years previously, and my speed was slowing down considerably.

One solution was that I did a hard reset of my router (a Linksys E-2500). That made it so I could go to all those websites again, but it didn't stop the usage meter from being wrong and saying I was using more than I actually was.

So, last night I installed the dd-wrt firmware for my router and lo and behold - the usage meter isn't adding up incorrect amounts of usage anymore! I was getting a bit PO'd that it was adding up usage during the free-time...so to test it, last night I did a good deal of downloading (probably ~2Gb of stuff) and the usage meter didn't add on a few hundred MB as it was doing before I 'upgraded' the firmware in my router. My speed is back up to par and the usage meter didn't budge!

YMMV, but I would try the dd-wrt route if nothing else works.
    Microsoft follows standards like caribou follow migrating salmon.
    -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by yochanon View Post
    Linksys E-2500......So, last night I installed the dd-wrt firmware...lo and behold - the usage meter isn't adding up incorrect amounts of usage anymore!
    One needs further proof to validate this hypothesis....which can be found here, while looking at Client-Side Proxy Statistics

Quote Originally Posted by yochanon View Post
    Linksys E-2500...installed the dd-wrt firmware for my router and lo and behold - the usage meter isn't adding up incorrect amounts of usage anymore!
    It could also be that Exede has a glitch in their SB-2 modem which causes this.

Compatibility between SB-2 and consumers' routers has been an issue...

Old topic here...same with Wildblue Legacy users in the beginning years.