Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Excede so slow?

Default Why is Excede so slow?

Why is Excede so slow?

I am new here so bare with me. I have been a Wildblue customer since 2006 and upgraded to Excede on May 15th. The speeds have been slower then I had excepted 2 to 3 Mbps on tesymy.net. and every day it is getting slower tonight it is 1.7Mbps. See result below from the web site.

When I check my modem this is the numbers:
    Rx Power: -43.6 dBm
    Rx SNR: 9.9 dB
    Cable Resistance: 1.0 Ohms
    Cable Attenuation 7.5 dB
    Iím not sure what all that means
    Usage 10.1gb out of 15.0

When I call customer service they are no help.
    I realize the speeds are not going to be 12 Mbps but 1.7 Mbps is a long way off and that. Is anybody else having this issue? When I try calling customer service about speed issues they can not help me solving the problem so I thought I would try the forum to see if anyone else is having the same problem. It is a little frustrating paying out 400.00 + for the install plus being in another two year contract if I'm not getting much different that what I originally had. If I run a test at 3:00am I get numbers in the 11Mbps range

Test was run around 10:00 Eastern Time on 06/13/2012
    :::.. Download Test Results ..::ownload Connection:: 1711 Kbps or 1.7 Mbps Download Test Size:: 2.5 MB or 2560 kB or 2621440 bytesDownload Speed:: 214 kB/sTested At:: http://TestMy.net version:12Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/FXdEeJpTest Time:: 2012-06-13 22:19:47 Local Time1MB Download in 4.79 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~1 Hours - 31X faster than 56KThis test of exactly 2560 kB took 11.968 seconds to completeRunning at 13% of hosts average (Wildblue Communications)User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; BRI/1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152) [!]

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Why is Excede so slow?

I am new here so bare with me. I have been a Wildblue customer since 2006 and upgraded to Excede on May 15th. The speeds have been slower then I had excepted 2 to 3 Mbps on tesymy.net. and every day it is getting slower tonight it is 1.7Mbps. See result below from the web site.

Cable Attenuation 7.5 dB
    Iím not sure what all that means
    Usage 10.1gb out of 15.0

When I call customer service they are no help.
    I realize the speeds are not going to be 12 Mbps but 1.7 Mbps is a long way off and that. Is anybody else having this issue? When I try calling customer service about speed issues they can not help me solving the problem so I thought I would try the forum to see if anyone else is having the same problem. It is a little frustrating paying out 400.00 + for the install plus being in another two year contract if I'm not getting much different that what I originally had. If I run a test at 3:00am I get numbers in the 11Mbps range

Test was run around 10:00 Eastern Time on 06/13/2012
    :::.. Download Test Results ..::ownload Connection:: 1711 Kbps or 1.7 Mbps Download Test Size:: 2.5 MB or 2560 kB or 2621440 bytesDownload Speed:: 214 kB/sTested At:: http://TestMy.net version:12Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/FXdEeJpTest Time:: 2012-06-13 22:19:47 Local Time1MB Download in 4.79 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~1 Hours - 31X faster than 56KThis test of exactly 2560 kB took 11.968 seconds to completeRunning at 13% of hosts average (Wildblue Communications)User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; BRI/1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152) [!]
    Most likely an installation issue. I would ask for a Tech visit while you are still in warranty. You can find a lot of info on this forum about what a quality install should include. ie. properly grounded? dish skewed? solid copper coax? less than 250 feet of coax? Post pics if you can. Unless you paid the lifetime lease $400 is awfully high. What was it for? Good luck.

First, rerun your download test and select the 12mB file size..the 2.5mB size used in your test does not allow enough time for the speed surges to kick in..

How about web site page loading? Do web sites like CNN.com load quickly?
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Quote Originally Posted by jimcoe View Post
    Most likely an installation issue. I would ask for a Tech visit while you are still in warranty. You can find a lot of info on this forum about what a quality install should include. ie. properly grounded? dish skewed? solid copper coax? less than 250 feet of coax? Post pics if you can. Unless you paid the lifetime lease $400 is awfully high. What was it for? Good luck.
    Dude, you have got to quit this blaming the install and the installer for everything. Yea, there are some bad installers, but the install IS NOT the problem in every case. This particular case might be an install problem and it might not be but blaming the installer and calling them lazy and the other names you use is so not cool. The OP clearly states that his speeds are fast in the early AM and then slow down. Bad installs don't do that. Network congestion does that.

You are supposedly an installer? It is sooo unprofessional to disrespect your fellow installers the way you do. Just because you think you do a good job doesn't mean you are the only one who does. It's not necessary that you jump into every thread and blame a bad install when often that's not the case at all. Ain't it funny that all those bad installs you were blaming for slow speeds a couple of weeks ago when all the complaints were being posted here, ain't it funny that all of a sudden they all fixed themselves and started working right when the network capacity was increased!

From your posts here people get the distinct impression that every WildBlue/Exede installer is a lazy bum out to rip the customer off. In my almost 30 years of experience in this business I've found that the installers who think like that and act like that and try to unprofessionally run down all their colleagues are either rookies who don't know any better or have other problems and are just trying to make themselves look good, when actually they make themselves and all their colleagues look very, very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JSheridan View Post
    Dude, you have got to quit this blaming the install and the installer for everything. Yea, there are some bad installers, but the install IS NOT the problem in every case. This particular case might be an install problem and it might not be but blaming the installer and calling them lazy and the other names you use is so not cool. The OP clearly states that his speeds are fast in the early AM and then slow down. Bad installs don't do that. Network congestion does that.

You are supposedly an installer? It is sooo unprofessional to disrespect your fellow installers the way you do. Just because you think you do a good job doesn't mean you are the only one who does. It's not necessary that you jump into every thread and blame a bad install when often that's not the case at all. Ain't it funny that all those bad installs you were blaming for slow speeds a couple of weeks ago when all the complaints were being posted here, ain't it funny that all of a sudden they all fixed themselves and started working right when the network capacity was increased!

From your posts here people get the distinct impression that every WildBlue/Exede installer is a lazy bum out to rip the customer off. In my almost 30 years of experience in this business I've found that the installers who think like that and act like that and try to unprofessionally run down all their colleagues are either rookies who don't know any better or have other problems and are just trying to make themselves look good, when actually they make themselves and all their colleagues look very, very bad.
    I hate that I come across like that to you. We may have different experiences but I do see most problems as a result of installers cutting corners or just not knowing what they are doing. I want the customer to know what he is supposed to be getting and I also want to expose and run off installers that make the rest of us look bad. Maybe I am over zealous about this. I will take your remarks under consideration and try and tone it down. I'm not perfect and I would be embarrassed for you to see some of my mistakes but they are HONEST mistakes and I take care of them when I learn better. Thanks for your advice and concern.

Jim,

Yes the system is grounded (the installer put a long copper rod in the ground) and ran a wire to the junction block and to the fuse panel. I only have around of 40 feet of coax. Yes I paid the life time lease.

wm4bama,

WebPages are slow. youtube video’s stop and go when I tried them last night.
    ight

Quote Originally Posted by jimcoe View Post
    I hate that I come across like that to you. We may have different experiences but I do see most problems as a result of installers cutting corners or just not knowing what they are doing. I want the customer to know what he is supposed to be getting and I also want to expose and run off installers that make the rest of us look bad. Maybe I am over zealous about this. I will take your remarks under consideration and try and tone it down. I'm not perfect and I would be embarrassed for you to see some of my mistakes but they are HONEST mistakes and I take care of them when I learn better. Thanks for your advice and concern.
    And thank you for that admirable attitude. We are all in this together and while we both know there are some, OK, a lot of hacks out there, guys like us that do a good job are painted with the same brush when all this is posted by one of us. When I roll up to a job I don't like it when the customer has read on the internet that we're all lazy bums who are going to do a crummy job. We do our very best to make sure the job is as close to perfect as we can get it and that the customer is happy but there are just some things out of our control that we shouldn't be blamed for.

Good luck and have a good day. I'm about to roll out on a 4 room Dish Network job, the sun is shining and all is good.

Default Problem

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Jim,

Yes the system is grounded (the installer put a long copper rod in the ground) and ran a wire to the junction block and to the fuse panel. I only have around of 40 feet of coax. Yes I paid the life time lease.

wm4bama,

WebPages are slow. youtube videoís stop and go when I tried them last night.
    ight
    OK, then it does sound like you have an installation problem, like mis-pointed dish or marginal Tria/Modem/bad coax..??
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

correct me if I'm wrong but can't tell by the modem numbers if the install is bad the modem numbers will be bad

Cable Attenuation 7.5 dB
    I’m not sure what all that means
    Usage 10.1gb out of 15.0

Those numbers look good.

Is it fast now and slow in the evening or slow all the time?

Fast now and slow during prime time usually means network congestion.

Slow all the time usually means an equipment or install problem.

Good luck.