Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 12mbps advertised but receiving 2-3 mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Earthsignal View Post
    Sound like your a newbie to the internet or your just trolling. All internet providers advertise with a "up to" on their speeds including this one.
    Nice wasteful post

Quote Originally Posted by jimcoe View Post
    If this guy is truly a dealer, he is probably cheating himself out of a lot of commissions and overrides. Maybe he became a dealer AFTER you signed on. He is the only one who can answer why he is sending you to WB. WB can tell you who your dealer of record is. I would be curious to know.
    I spoke to him yesterday (actually his wife, she runs the office, since he is in the field and works alone). She tells me that they are an Exede dealer along with HughesNet, Dish and Direct TV. That yes, they can write someone up who comes in off the street. But in my case, since I'm a WB customer, I first have to go to them to issue the order. If I get an order number, I can then let her know and she will follow-up. I forgot to ask, but since they are the ones who put in my WB system originally, and I have only dealt with them for service (through WB), I would think that they are "the dealer of record."

She said that between upgrades and new installs that they have put in about 20 systems with no problems or call backs. There was an outage one day for several hours, but that was on WB's end and was eventually restored.

She also said that the northeast was one of the first parts of the country that went active with Exede and that while she has heard that some parts of the country have had problems she hasn't heard of such happening in the northeast.

She told me a little bit of trivia. She said that all of the new dishes for Exede say Wild Blue! That originally they were going to keep the name the same, but in the end decided to call it Exede. So while it is advertised as Exede the dishes still will say Wild Blue!
    Legacy Pro Package October 19, 2006 to October 29, 2013. Opted out for Verizon Home Fusion System. Installed October 29, 2013.

I was told in training that the dishes will eventually say "Exede." I'm guessing they have a lot of WB dishes to use up first.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcoe View Post
    I was told in training that the dishes will eventually say "Exede." I'm guessing they have a lot of WB dishes to use up first.
    But it isn't the same dish as the old one, correct? So it does look like they had originally planned to keep the WildBlue name and then for some reason changed it.
    Legacy Pro Package October 19, 2006 to October 29, 2013. Opted out for Verizon Home Fusion System. Installed October 29, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinlives View Post
    But it isn't the same dish as the old one, correct? So it does look like they had originally planned to keep the WildBlue name and then for some reason changed it.
    probably the same main reflector, but that's all that's the same.. a totally different boom for the new TRIA that Excede uses.. No mini reflector to bounce the signal off then to the main reflector.. The new TRIA's feedhorn points directly at the large reflector..

-Texas Rebel

The new reflector installed for my upgrade still says Wildblue but is a little larger than the original legacy reflector he removed...I didn't personally measure it, but that's what my installer told me..
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
    then you are on Beam U42DL..

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=6582

-TexasRebel
    Thank you, but I am new to satellite internet and just don't grasp yet how this tells me why I'm getting slow speeds.
    The first day i had it, it showed ranges with a Max of 6mbps.
    I've not seen that since and that is using the speed test from my linksys router software.
    Even when connected directly to the modem and not the router.

Is there a better way to get my speed test?

Thank you for any help understanding

Quote Originally Posted by grnidkjun View Post
    I'm getting slow speeds.
    speed test from my linksys router software.
    Can you do a 12 Mbyte test from Testmy.net?

Can you do this DOS Command:

tracert 24.25.224.142

and what is 6th hop, name of city?
    WB-1: 163 Riverside, CA Gateway: Denver AcceleNet Server

Default Speed tests..

Quote Originally Posted by grnidkjun View Post
    Thank you, but I am new to satellite internet and just don't grasp yet how this tells me why I'm getting slow speeds.
    The first day i had it, it showed ranges with a Max of 6mbps.
    I've not seen that since and that is using the speed test from my linksys router software.
    Even when connected directly to the modem and not the router.

Is there a better way to get my speed test?

Thank you for any help understanding
    The browser you chose to use does play a role in speeds, both in how fast a web page loads and how fast a file download or streaming video/audio goes..

I have evaluated this many times, and after exhaustive tests have determined this:

Opera, fastest for file downloads, not as fast as Chrome for web page loading.

Chrome second fastest, but only a small amount, for file downloads and is the fastest loading web pages, especially noticeably faster with 2 or more tabs open.

Firefox, ranks 3rd in both file downloading speeds and web page loading..although web page loading is still good, even with 2 or more tabs open.

I wound up using Chrome as my default browser, with add-ons AdBlock-Plus, FlashBlock and Web-of-Trust (WOT).

For your most reliable speed tests results use testmy.net. Always run two separate tests, never use the "Smart" test.

For Exede12 never use less than the 12mB file size for download tests and use the 17.5mb file size for upload tests..

testmy.net

IE8 or IE9, slowest of the ones I tested...very slow in tabbed browsing.

I did not evaluate Safari or other browsers, just these 5.
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Multiple threads on slow speeds. Just wonderful