Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple Problems with New Exede Service

Default Multiple Problems with New Exede Service

I switched over to Exede from Hughesnet five days ago (Saturday) and had a technician out on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. There are three issues:

1) The modem has all 4 lights blinking in unison and

2) My speed is slow

3) I cannot use/see some web pages.

Regarding problem 1:

The modem has been switched out three times
    The modem power supply has been switched out once.
    The LNB was swapped out.
    The cable from the LNB to the demarc was swapped out; it is approximately 20 feet long.
    The cable from the demarc to the modem was swapped out; it is approximately 45 feet long.

The TRIA shows red with an resistance problem.

Regarding problem 2:

Repeated tests have showed that the fastest download time I am getting is 1.7 Mps. Frequently I am only getting .8. This is using the Wild Blue-preferred test site.

Regarding problem 3

I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 7 and both acting in the same exact manner.

When I try to pull up a Youtube video I get an error. When I try to pull up a Fine Woodworking video I get nothing. When I try to view a product video on Rockler.com I get nothing. When I try to view an ecard at Hallmark.com I get nothing. When, I try to respond to a survey I get nothing. When I try various speed test sites I get nothing. In each case, where the video is suppose to be there is only a blank space. Other sites are having similar issues.

I took my laptop to a friend's house this morning who uses ATT DSL and every one of these sites worked fine. I then took it to another friend's house who uses TruVista and all these sites worked fine.

The problem occurs in Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer and only on Exede whether I am plugged directly into the modem or into my Linksys router.

I have also been told that at another installation right after mine the technician found the same problem.

This is a severe problem for me since I am taking college courses online.

I am a network engineer with many clients in this area. Some of them are "out in the country" and are eagerly waiting for a report from me on Exede. I would love to get them the extra speed promised but cannot, in all good consciousness, recommend Exede at this time. The extra speed would really help with my providing them remote assistance.

(BTW, did not have any problems with HughesNet except speed (buffering on videos) which is why I switched to Exede--for the speed. I am extremely disappointed.)

All the lights blinking shows a bad connection/coax somewhere...and you should not have a red icon..

I'd keep calling for the service tech to return until your installation is done correctly...you're under warranty so it's no cost to you to get it done right...you must be getting a very inexperienced tech...

You get it fixed where the lights don't all blink and no red icon and that should take care of your speed issues.
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Thanks for your response. I have had four different techs out here. As I stated, all of the cables have been replaced. Do you recommend they replace them again? What is the maximum length a cable run should be to get decent speeds. I would be happy with 5MB. My current speed is slower than Hughesnet and I can't access certain website information.

More then likely it is not solid copper cable.

They said it was and I put the magnet on it. It didn't stick.

what kind of connectors is on it? and is there any tight bends in the cable?

Quote Originally Posted by BKind2Anmls View Post
    The cable from the LNB to the demarc
    Bring us up to date, what is a "demarc?"

Cable normally runs direct, except for grounding block, to Modem.

Please read cable nomenclature...what is it?

Got a pic of your dish, showing the ground from LNB (TRIA), and where it grounds?

Well, from your standpoint you should just insist that your installation be done correctly and let the installer wrestle with the problem(s) until it's fixed..keep him there until you get all 4 lights to stay solidly lit, and no red icons in your modem or Tria menu displays.

The shortest cable run from the Tria to your grounding block and from the grounding block to your modem is the best option..mine is about 25' total from Tria to modem..
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Could very well be non-approved cable or a problem with grounding as well. Those are the things that we (myself and my technicians and dealers I talk to) have seen that cause the 4 blinking light as described.
    Last edited by Shane; 04-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.

I switched over to Exede from Hughesnet five days ago (Saturday) and had a technician out on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. There are three issues:

1) The modem has all 4 lights blinking in unison and

2) My speed is slow

3) I cannot use/see some web pages.
    First off, thank you for your business. We will make sure to take care of things and get the service working for you. Your installation labor is warrantied for 90 days, so any service calls for repair during that time will be at no cost to you. Have you already called into our customer support, and also, did you buy from us directly, or did you get the service through DISH Network or an NRTC affiliate member company?

Regarding problem 1:

The modem has been switched out three times
    The modem power supply has been switched out once.
    The LNB was swapped out.
    The cable from the LNB to the demarc was swapped out; it is approximately 20 feet long.
    The cable from the demarc to the modem was swapped out; it is approximately 45 feet long.

The TRIA shows red with an resistance problem.

Regarding problem 2:

Repeated tests have showed that the fastest download time I am getting is 1.7 Mps. Frequently I am only getting .8. This is using the Wild Blue-preferred test site.
    What do you mean when you say there's a cable to the demarc, and then another cable from the demarc to the modem? There should be one single cable run from the satellite dish to the modem, possibly going through a ground block. Can you describe what the demarc is, and what it looks like?

Regarding the speed test site, what site are you using, and who told you it was a "WildBlue-preferred test site"? We typically recommend speakeasy.net because it's testing algorithm tends to account for inherent satellite latency better than others. Thank you.
    Official WildBlue and Exede forum moderator
    Please note I have changed usernames to "Exede Steve", and do not use this account anymore. Thank you.