Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great so far, worried about bandwidth limit

Default Great so far, worried about bandwidth limit

Very happy with Exede so far--not sure how much bandwidth I'm using yet though. Everything I try with it seems to work just fine--and quick.

It will indeed be interesting to see how much bandwidth people are using. Hope a meter appears soon to tell. Word is it is a "couple weeks away".

If the meter doesn't work, I don't think WB have right to penalize customers.

I have not seen usage meter work with new system anywhere.

Default WB will announce when

Quote Originally Posted by Zaw View Post
    If the meter doesn't work, I don't think WB have right to penalize customers.

WB Steve has already posted that no one will be held to their usage limits until the usage meter is working...unless, he said, someone was grossly abusing their usage.

He will announce on this forum when the usage meter is working, so until then, quit worrying about it and enjoy your new service. The usage meter will be available when WB gets any bugs worked out...and it will be announced and discussed here...
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

I'm anxious to see how much bandwidth I use on a daily basis because I telecommute and i have a remote desktop connected 10+ hours a day

Quote Originally Posted by Zaw View Post
    Networx is perfect for me and free http://download.cnet.com/NetWorx/300...-10155904.html
    March I used 10.3 GB, running April total now is at 406MB
    Sits in my system tray for instant readings, doesn't get any better.

Do a right click for for your self to see how powerful the program is.
    EDIT: the manual http://www.softperfect.com/products/...speedmeter.htm
    Last edited by Excede speed limit; 04-06-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add link for better discription

Quote Originally Posted by wm4bama View Post
    WB Steve has already posted that no one will be held to their usage limits until the usage meter is working...unless, he said, someone was grossly abusing their usage.

He will announce on this forum when the usage meter is working, so until then, quit worrying about it and enjoy your new service. The usage meter will be available when WB gets any bugs worked out...and it will be announced and discussed here...
    Tell me folks, do you really think that ViaSat launches a $400 mill satellite, tests it for a couple of months, launches the service with new fees and reduced FAP allowances, but somehow doesn't have a usage meter ready and active? And I'm not even from Missouri!

Default DAP monitor

Quote Originally Posted by calvinlives View Post
    Tell me folks, do you really think that ViaSat launches a $400 mill satellite, tests it for a couple of months, launches the service with new fees and reduced FAP allowances, but somehow doesn't have a usage meter ready and active? And I'm not even from Missouri!
    Well, one things for sure...not one Exede customer has reported being flagged for abusing their DAP cap...and yes, I believe the DAP counters could be working but WB chose not to use them until everyone has adjusted their usage to the high increase in speeds...

And, it's still possible that after WB analyzes everyone's average uses that they may adjust the DAP limits...upward, of course..
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Quote Originally Posted by wm4bama View Post
    Well, one things for sure...not one Exede customer has reported being flagged for abusing their DAP cap...and yes, I believe the DAP counters could be working but WB chose not to use them until everyone has adjusted their usage to the high increase in speeds...

And, it's still possible that after WB analyzes everyone's average uses that they may adjust the DAP limits...upward, of course..
    How does one "adjust their usage to the high increase in speed?" Do you mean that they will need to get used to using less since with the higher speeds they may tend to use more? That's what makes no sense me. They jack up the speed with their new technology and satellite. Faster downloads/uploads for surfing, gaming and videos, etc. But then they cut your DAP cap so that you will need to do less of all the above? What's that about???

Default Usage

Quote Originally Posted by calvinlives View Post
    How does one "adjust their usage to the high increase in speed?" Do you mean that they will need to get used to using less since with the higher speeds they may tend to use more? That's what makes no sense me. They jack up the speed with their new technology and satellite. Faster downloads/uploads for surfing, gaming and videos, etc. But then they cut your DAP cap so that you will need to do less of all the above? What's that about???
    It means that many customers will start doing more things on the internet because they have faster speeds..

For example, downloading movies, using Skype, free VOIP services, Cloud back-up service...the list goes on and on of the things customers can start doing with Exede that they did not do with their old Legacy services..

So, that's what's meant by allowing the customer to get used to their new speeds...it means that while adjusting their habits to the faster speeds they also must watch their usage closely to determine what they can, or can't do to avoid exceeding their DAP cap..this grace period allows them to do this..

Hopefully, when WB gets their online usage monitor working they will also have the option in place to buy extra gigabytes for the customers to use until they decide what internet habits/functions they want to use..