Thread: Torn about ordering or not

Default Torn about ordering or not

I live in the booger in the nose of Wisconsin, in other words in the middle of no where Cushing, WI. I've lived at the same address for over 10 years and had the same dial up ISP. Currently highspeed internet isn't available at my address, but a half mile away it is. Half that distance is our long driveway, far back from the road. Countless emails and calls to my ISP asking about when highspeed internet would be available to us has resulted in the same answer for the past five years; no one can tell me if or when it will be available.

Do I wait and continue to bother them? Or do I sign up with WildBlue and the new Exede service? One thing that worries me is the 24 month contract; I doubt I will have highspeed internet here within 2 years but I may be surprised.

We sell on ebay and I also do a teeny bit of web design on the side, terribly difficult with a dial up connecton that usually sits at 36kbps or less. I feel its time for a change.

Also I read before I sign a contract, I can request a site survey; how do I go about doing this? I feel it would be necessary because of my location, I sit atop a hill overlooking a valley and south of that is another hill that is a litte taller, not quite sure if this service will even work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Default Do this..

Quote Originally Posted by lmw View Post
    I live in the booger in the nose of Wisconsin, in other words in the middle of no where Cushing, WI. I've lived at the same address for over 10 years and had the same dial up ISP. Currently highspeed internet isn't available at my address, but a half mile away it is. Half that distance is our long driveway, far back from the road. Countless emails and calls to my ISP asking about when highspeed internet would be available to us has resulted in the same answer for the past five years; no one can tell me if or when it will be available.

Do I wait and continue to bother them? Or do I sign up with WildBlue and the new Exede service? One thing that worries me is the 24 month contract; I doubt I will have highspeed internet here within 2 years but I may be surprised.

We sell on ebay and I also do a teeny bit of web design on the side, terribly difficult with a dial up connecton that usually sits at 36kbps or less. I feel its time for a change.

Also I read before I sign a contract, I can request a site survey; how do I go about doing this? I feel it would be necessary because of my location, I sit atop a hill overlooking a valley and south of that is another hill that is a litte taller, not quite sure if this service will even work.

First of all, you can cancel your two year contract anytime and pay a $15 penalty for each month left on your contract...if you have 10 months left it will cost you $150.00

Site survey..

Your best bet is to go to this web site, put in your zip code or address and look at the local dealers that pop up on the map..select one nearest you, call them and ask for a site survey..

http://www.viasatresidential.com/exe.../find-a-dealer
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Quote Originally Posted by lmw View Post

If you have a smart phone, just for fun you can download free satellite finders like "Satellite AR" (there may even be better apps). I couldn't find "Viasat" or "wildblue" in the drop down menu of the app but they come up using the search feature. Or you can just select "all active sats (including geostationary belt)". Point your phone south and you will definitely be able to pick out the representation of all the birds bunched up in the Clarke Belt. If the belt is in the clear you should be good to go!

Considering there is a service footprint up into Canada and Alaska, it would have to be a very narrow valley, or a much taller hill to block your LOS. I think the biggest obstacles are buildings, trees, and mountains to your Immediate South, as opposed to a slightly taller hill across a valley.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. I just have to do something. Dial up is really slowing me down and a pain in the neck. !!!!

Hi lmw
    I'm 150 miles to the east of you enjoying Excede 12Mb/s plan, please note speeds will be the same regardless of your plan, go with the cheapest.
    If you have Dish Network, then call them by all means please do.

The sun is a good indicator where the bird is located, time of day I'll check tomorrow, the bird will be higher than the sun.
    LOS stands for Line of Sight so forget the hills, pointing to the sky.

Don't be concerned about a contract as I also have HN and G3 cellular (slow).
    Contract is always with them all