Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WildBlue customers with routers who have upgraded to Exede

One thing is for sure...if it works with you computer wired to the modem and does not work with the router wired to the modem and your computer wired to the router, you have a cockpit problem or a sick router that can't handle the new Exede speed.

Make sure you troubleshoot using the sequence above and don't test anything via a wireless connection until you prove you can hardwire the modem to the router and hardwire your computer to the router...if you can get those working as wired, then you can try a wireless connection..
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Default Linksys WRT160N no longer working with Exede

I have been a Wild Blue customer for 4 years, the old 1.5 Mbps service through DirecTV. With that hardware, I have been using a Cisco Linksys WRT160N wireless router with no issues.

Today, I upgraded to Exede, the 12 Mbps service. I can access the Internet when I directly connect my desktop to the satellite modem (which is what I'm doing now). However, I cannot get Internet access when I plug in my Linksys wireless router.

Is there some setting in the satellite modem I need to tell it I'm using a wireless router? Is there some setting in my wireless router I need to change for the new hardware?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unplug your router from the modem (you did). Shutdown your computer. Reboot the modem and once it gets lock then plug in router and turn on. Give that a few minutes and turn on the computer. Make sure your router is set to dhcp to accept the ip address the modem will give it. Let me know if this works.
    Forum Moderator (not an employee of Wildblue)

Yes, I have noticed that problem at a customer who I switched form WB to EX. We can only get to internet using my Laptop which I use to activate the system.

We tried all the router he have plus all the routers in my Van. Only one of them agrees with New WB system.

Its a in WB network system. Ran in to that issue a few years back.

Hi, first time poster, and I am having a router problem.

I did not upgrade from wildblue, I was a starband customer (on a side note, THANK YOU EXCEDE, this service is magnificent). My router is a Linksys WRT54G, zip code is 29038. I used this router for the five years or so I was with starband, and have been in fact using it with the Excede service since my install on 2-23-12. The transition at install was seamless; plugged the router in and everything worked normally.

Then the day before yesterday I could not connect to the internet from either my desktop (with the router still in the loop) or wirelessly from either of our two laptops. The laptops find the router and "connect" to it, but the internet cannot be accessed. The only way I can connect to the internet is hardwired straight from the modem with the router completely out of the loop.

I tried the suggestions in this thread to no avail; same result.

One visual indication I have noted is the lights on the front of the modem. Under normal operation, the lights on the Excede modem dance around or blink a good bit. The first time I could not access the internet the day before yesterday I noticed before I even tried to open my browser that the lights on the modem were all lit steadily; no dancing, no blinking. Thats they way they are now when I put the router back in the loop, steadily lit, no blinking. When I run the modem straight to the pc with the router not in the loop, presto, blinking lights and internet.

Default Troubleshooting your system

Quote Originally Posted by kidrobinski View Post
    Hi, first time poster, and I am having a router problem.

I did not upgrade from wildblue, I was a starband customer (on a side note, THANK YOU EXCEDE, this service is magnificent). My router is a Linksys WRT54G, zip code is 29038. I used this router for the five years or so I was with starband, and have been in fact using it with the Excede service since my install on 2-23-12. The transition at install was seamless; plugged the router in and everything worked normally.

Then the day before yesterday I could not connect to the internet from either my desktop (with the router still in the loop) or wirelessly from either of our two laptops. The laptops find the router and "connect" to it, but the internet cannot be accessed. The only way I can connect to the internet is hardwired straight from the modem with the router completely out of the loop.

I tried the suggestions in this thread to no avail; same result.

One visual indication I have noted is the lights on the front of the modem. Under normal operation, the lights on the Excede modem dance around or blink a good bit. The first time I could not access the internet the day before yesterday I noticed before I even tried to open my browser that the lights on the modem were all lit steadily; no dancing, no blinking. Thats they way they are now when I put the router back in the loop, steadily lit, no blinking. When I run the modem straight to the pc with the router not in the loop, presto, blinking lights and internet.
    OK, let's setup some known conditions, then troubleshoot your problem.

First, with your desktop connected directly to the Exede modem verify you have good internet access..go no further with this until you do have good internet access.

OK, without turning anything off, connect the Exede modem to your router and connect your desktop to the router.

Keeping everything powered up and cables connected, use a ballpoint pen and on the rear of your router press and hold in the recessed button labeled "Reset" for about 5 seconds..

Release the reset button and wait about 30 seconds..

Now, reboot your desktop computer and try to use the internet..if you can use the internet from your desktop then the wireless laptop should now be able to connect to the router and also have internet access.

If you still can't get internet access your next step is to try a different router.
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Default Wireless router not working with Exede

I upgraded to Exede 12-3 on February 28th. I have a Linksys E3200 router and had no problem using wireless with it, untill this morning when I was unable to connect though the router.

Quote Originally Posted by wm4bama View Post
    OK, let's setup some known conditions, then troubleshoot your problem.

First, with your desktop connected directly to the Exede modem verify you have good internet access..go no further with this until you do have good internet access.

OK, without turning anything off, connect the Exede modem to your router and connect your desktop to the router.

Keeping everything powered up and cables connected, use a ballpoint pen and on the rear of your router press and hold in the recessed button labeled "Reset" for about 5 seconds..

Release the reset button and wait about 30 seconds..

Now, reboot your desktop computer and try to use the internet..if you can use the internet from your desktop then the wireless laptop should now be able to connect to the router and also have internet access.

If you still can't get internet access your next step is to try a different router.
    Thanks for the suggestions bama.

Yeah, access straight from modem to desktop is good; my original post and this one came that way.

I had already tried all your suggestions including the router reset, but I tried again anyway just to see if I wasn't holding my mouth right before. No change.

I've got a longtime IT professional coming over this evening; we'll noodle, but my gut tells me this isn't a router issue. However, my wife will confirm that I am frequently wrong.

Thanks much for your assistance.

Default Wireless Router

I have installed the Cisco E1200 on 2 installs and have had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    I have been a Wild Blue customer for 4 years, the old 1.5 Mbps service through DirecTV. With that hardware, I have been using a Cisco Linksys WRT160N wireless router with no issues.

Today, I upgraded to Exede, the 12 Mbps service. I can access the Internet when I directly connect my desktop to the satellite modem (which is what I'm doing now). However, I cannot get Internet access when I plug in my Linksys wireless router.

Is there some setting in the satellite modem I need to tell it I'm using a wireless router? Is there some setting in my wireless router I need to change for the new hardware?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Dagwood, I moved your posting into this thread that's all about router issues. Follow the steps that Celestial Storm suggested and see if that works. If not, maybe check your router's guide for resetting its configuration to original specs. If you do that, be sure the security settings are enabled afterwards to prevent any of your neighbors from accessing your connection.
    Official WildBlue and Exede forum moderator
    Please note I have changed usernames to "Exede Steve", and do not use this account anymore. Thank you.