Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: WildBlue customers with routers who have upgraded to Exede

Default Bad coax or connector

Quote Originally Posted by freediver View Post
    We recently upgraded to the Exede package roughly 3 weeks ago. Everything seemed great the first few days, but now we are running into issues.
    This is at a workplace, and I'm here during the day but leave in the evening. When I come into the office in the morning, often times all 4 lights are flashing every 2 seconds on the modem. While unusual, when I start up my computer internet runs fine. The big problem I have is that the service will drop out two or moire times a day and the only way to fix it is to unplug and re-boot the modem. Very frustrating!
    I am running a Mac Airport wireless router, but never had this problem with the old package. In fact, while slower, the old package was super reliable and never caused me any issues. I'm a little disappointed with this issue, mostly since we are now paying twice the price, but with more headaches. Speed is much better overall though.
    I've placed a service call in a few hours ago. I was told to call back when it drops the service so they can do a diagnostics (unplug my Mac Airport, plug modem directly to computer, etc...). Shouldn't be long now and the signal will drop so we'll see what happens......Hopefully this can be resolved fairly easily.
    If you upgraded I assume your installer reused one of the existing coax cables from your old Legacy installation.

From other customer's reports and fixes, it seems that if all those lights are flashing and you still have internet access that either you have a bad coax or bad connector somewhere in the coax path from your
    modem->Grounding-Block->Tria path.

If you log into your modem menu when these lights are flashing look at all the indicators in both the modem and Tria buttons..you'll usually see a red indicator on something..

A service call is in order.
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Default Modem Vs Router VS NAT

I just got on Exede and was suprised to see that a public IP number ended up on my machine. Which means the black Exede box is a modem. So then I tried a few different things. Like unplugging the ethernet connection and rebooting the modem, once it trained up, I connected the ethernet and sure enough I got the same IP address. I didn't leave the modem off long enough for the DHCP life to time out. To see if I get a different IP address. So maybe be the Exede box is like most cable boxes where the box's Mac address get tied to the IP address. However the most unusal thing I found is when I connect a switch to the Modem then fired up a second PC. I got another public address, however it was on a different subnet. Also if you look closely at your subnet mask you find it is not the usual 255.255.255.0 instead you get a 255.255.252.0 which means the subnet contains 1024 rather than the typical 254 address's. Which means if you ping the second machine it has to full round trip showing like 1200ms. My address were 184.63.175.xx and 184.63.165.xx. I don't have 3rd device to hookup would be curious to see how many public IP you can get. Also the Exede box isn't acting like the old style modem that made you put your ethernet card in bridge mode. Also most routers aren't really routing they are just "Network Address translation with overload" which means one public ip is being feed by multiple private ip's with port translation to get the destinations correct. The best way to see this is to run "whatismyip.com" all the machines behind the router will return the same address. This makes inbound traffic routing problems. Lets someone want so make a video call to your machine. The router, unless a helper service has been configured saying when this port request comes in feed to this machine, won't know where to forward the request.

What I'm thinking about doing is that I like the idea of public address's on my machines , turn on advanced firewall if you do. However I don't want my machine to machine traffic going out the modem. So I'm going to try and if I keep getting the same Ip's each time I fire up. Then I'll put the information via static rather than DHCP and then change my subnet mask so that the 165.xx and 175.xx appear to be on same net. I think a mask of 255.255.248.0 will do the trick.

I also collected a couple of those WiFi routers and will see if I can accomplish the same thing.

It would be nice is the tech guys a Exede would get on here and tell us more about how the system is setup instead of us reverse engineering it.

Default Wireless does not work since upgrade to Excede

We upgraded our Wildblue service 4/13. Two desktop computers are hardwired to router; laptop and netbook connect wirelessly only. Everything worked seamlessly before upgrade. Since upgrade, cannot connect wirelessly - even shutting everything off, rebooting devices one by one, and starting over does not work. Wireless connection will not "hold". Connects literally for 3 seconds and then drops connection. Hardwired desktops - no problem. The router is a Linksys Wireless G, 2.4 Ghz, 54mbps. Suggestions?
    Last edited by bevboody; 04-19-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Default wireless problems

From what you said, you have a switch with connections to the modem, two pc's, and a wireless access point/router. I would run ipconfig on all the pc's and get the ip address, netmask, gateway, DNS info. The if you wireless/router has any ethernet connections plug PC in there and check for same info. plus run whatismyip.com. Now you'll have a picture of network. If you want all the PC's to talk to each other they will have to get on the same network. If they just want Internet access I would remove all existing Wi-fi and reset the box and start from scratch building the Wi-fi again and see if problem goes away.

Default Similar Router Problems

I upgraded from Wildblue to Exede last weekend. The install was not smooth. The dish was installed and working fine on the technician's laptop out in the yard, but the modem could not connect using the existing cabling in the house. The technician decided he needed to have a shorter cable run, and when he discussed drilling a hole through the brick on the garage, I thought I'd need to call an ambulance for my husband.

We ended up going through the same hole in the house as before, but then fishing the wire under the house and up into the laundry closet, rather than up to the second floor where my office is located. In the end, I really do not think the new cable run is shorter than the old cable run.

Once the new cable was installed, everything worked fine from the modem to the router and to a wired laptop. However, since I don't plan to do my computing from the laundry closet, we had to get the wireless to work. No one could get onto the wireless network through the Linksys N router (not sure of model). Since the internet was up, the technician left and told us to call Wildblue if we couldn't get internet. Wireless networking was not his problem.

Since the issue was more than just internet access (wireless devices were completely unable to connect to the home network, including but not limited to internet access) I assumed the router was broken and bought a new Netgear N. I also needed to buy a wireless range extender with wired ports for my upstairs computer room that was abandonned in the move to the laundry closet.

Everything has been running okay this week until this morning. I'm told there was a widespread network outage. I'm hoping it is up when I get home from work.

I have a netgear FVS338 and I can't connect to the internet through Exede. It worked great with my previous provider which was an 802.11b provider. I factory reset the firewall/router and using it's diagnostics I can't even get to the DNS servers to look up an IP address. Exede works fine if I connect one of my pc's directly to the modem.

Never mind. I upgraded the firmware in the firewall to the latest version and that fixed it. I'm up and working now.

Using a Cradlepoint 1000 from Zip 78550 and there has been no problem with the connection for day one of the upgrade.

Default Suggestions did not work so I replaced router

Quote Originally Posted by cking View Post
    From what you said, you have a switch with connections to the modem, two pc's, and a wireless access point/router. I would run ipconfig on all the pc's and get the ip address, netmask, gateway, DNS info. The if you wireless/router has any ethernet connections plug PC in there and check for same info. plus run whatismyip.com. Now you'll have a picture of network. If you want all the PC's to talk to each other they will have to get on the same network. If they just want Internet access I would remove all existing Wi-fi and reset the box and start from scratch building the Wi-fi again and see if problem goes away.
    Getting our network back was secondary for me as compared to connecting wirelessly to internet. Tried your suggestion of removing all existing Wi-fi connections and rebuilding but it did not work. Maybe Linksys router at 6 yrs. old was too old for today's technology? Next solution was to go out and buy a new router and start from scratch. Purchased a Netgear N600 wireless dual band router based on conversation with Best Buy tech about my personal situation. Installed the new router this morning and everything works fine - hardwired and wireless connections. Connection speeds seem faster and download/upload speeds through router have speeded up, too. This new router has made the upgrade to Excede worthwhile; for a while, I was wondering. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Just upgraded to Exede.

Router is Netgear WNDR3700. Able to connect wired or wirless without any problems. I did turn router off and back on.

My normal procedure when I have problems with connection is to power everything down and power back up in this order: modem, router, computer.