Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need wireless router that work with excede..

Default Need wireless router that work with excede..

Hello

Iam getting excede around the 14th and if anyone could suggest me a wireless router that work good with it around $25 to $50 doller range... This will be the first time using one so i have no clue which one would be good or not..

thank you shawn

Thru Death's Door on Washington Island in Wisconsin

Is not a wireless router-modem an option with Exede?
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

The did not tell me it was when they called but maybe the company that installs it will have the option if so does anyone know how much it is..

From the tech literature we've seen on the Exede wireless modem, it appears that it will not support more than one wired device, likely that would be your desktop computer and other devices would have to work via wireless.

Most makes/models of routers allow 4 different wired devices because they have 4 ports besides the modem input port. I have a printer connected to my router as well as a desktop computer, which allows my laptop to print wireless from anywhere in the house.

So before deciding on getting the Exede modem/wireless combo device verify how many other ports it supports, else be sure you won't need any other wired inputs like most routers provide.

As far as the original question, any good Linksys, D-Link or NetGear router will work fine...and you can look at them here.

I would suggest you get a dual-band router that supports both the -g and -n frequencies just in case an older device does not support the newer -n frequency.

If everything you own that will use the wireless signal is less than 2 years old then a router that just supports the -n will probably be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...router&x=0&y=0
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

Quote Originally Posted by wm4bama View Post
    From the tech literature we've seen on the Exede wireless modem, it appears that it will not support more than one wired device, likely that would be your desktop computer and other devices would have to work via wireless.

Most makes/models of routers allow 4 different wired devices because they have 4 ports besides the modem input port. I have a printer connected to my router as well as a desktop computer, which allows my laptop to print wireless from anywhere in the house.

So before deciding on getting the Exede modem/wireless combo device verify how many other ports it supports, else be sure you won't need any other wired inputs like most routers provide.
    What Excede wireless modem? There has never been any mention of any modem other than the stock Surfbeam2 modem for Excede from any company source, official or otherwise. That includes Viasat U.S. marketing, training, distributors, nobody. You might have seen a variety of Viasat hardware somewhere on the internet but Viasat is a big company that offers different hardware and services around the world.

Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Yea, that's a Viasat link, not Exede or WildBlue. Like I said, Viasat is an international company and offers different products and services in different parts of the world. There has been NO mention of any IDU for the Excede system other than the stock Surfbeam2 modem now being offered.

Quote Originally Posted by JSheridan View Post
    ...stock Surfbeam2 modem now being offered.
    Looks pretty stock to me. ViaSat also makes a portable Surfbeam user terminal probably not offered to you/us.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Looks pretty stock to me. ViaSat also makes a portable Surfbeam user terminal probably not offered to you/us.
    They make a boatload of different models but the only one available for the Exede system is the one that I'm looking at a copy of, which has a model # RM4100 on the bottom. No wireless, no router, just a stock modem.

Just think how much fun it would be for Tech Support to have to keep everybody's wireless home network running.

Thank you all for the help i really do appreciate it...