Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Took the plunge - Priority Upgrade

texexec,

Grumpy listed the prices and FAP limits (combined upload/download), which have been floating around the forum for a month or more. I will likely go with Plan 2, but that decision isn't made until install time (April/May).

$149 is the total cost of my upgrade which includes new modem/installation. A two year contract was required.
    I currently own my equipment, but the upgrade and new contract will add ~$10/month equipment rental, but I will likely pay the $219 for a "lifetime" agreement.

I didn't ask about the cost of going over the FAP limit, as I have not done so in +6 years on WildBlue and is not an issue for me.

I didn't ask about options for suspending the service. It is not a concern for me.

There was no indication, at this time, that I couldn't stay on my current plan, the choice was mine to move to the new contract.

I have no idea if the features/terms vary for different parts of the country, but this was my deal to get 12Mbps, staying on Anik F2.
    Viasat 1 ~ 15GB ~ Beam 329 ~ Lovelock Gateway ~ Linksys WRT-1900AC ~ Win 8.1 64bit ~ WildBlue since 2005 ~ Exede May 2014

Default Anik-F2 will be 5mbs

Quote Originally Posted by N4ST View Post
    texexec,

There was no indication, at this time, that I couldn't stay on my current plan, the choice was mine to move to the new contract.

I have no idea if the features/terms vary for different parts of the country, but this was my deal to get 12Mbps, staying on Anik F2.
    You have to be moved to ViaSat-1 to get 12mbs...the most you can get on Anik-F2 will be 5mbs..

Edit: Actually, after checking previous announcements, I think all you can get on Anik-F2 will be the original plans, up-to 1.5mbs with the Pro Pak.

WB-1 will offer the 5mbs plans and..ViaSat-1 will have the 12mbs plans..
    Last edited by wm4bama; 01-09-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Addition
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

i read that amc15 surf beam 1 up to 5mbps
    WB-1 and anik-f2 would be able to do both surf beam 1 & 2 for 5mbps and 12mbps
    visat-1 surf beam 2 12mbps

http://wildbluetools.com/content/FS/...viceManual.pdf
    Last edited by knightman33; 01-09-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wm4bama View Post
    You have to be moved to ViaSat-1 to get 12mbs...the most you can get on Anik-F2 will be 5mbs..

Edit: Actually, after checking previous announcements, I think all you can get on Anik-F2 will be the original plans, up-to 1.5mbs with the Pro Pak.

WB-1 will offer the 5mbs plans and..ViaSat-1 will have the 12mbs plans..
    I can assure you I asked that question and I was told that I would remain on Anik-F2 for 12Mbps. She also told me the only thing that would change on my end was the modem. Same TRIA/dish. Do I trust the customer service person that told me this? Not 100%, but that's what they said. I do believe Anik-F2 is capable of more than 5Mbps since it is just a "bent pipe" transfer medium, but the ground equipment has to changed.
    Viasat 1 ~ 15GB ~ Beam 329 ~ Lovelock Gateway ~ Linksys WRT-1900AC ~ Win 8.1 64bit ~ WildBlue since 2005 ~ Exede May 2014

Default Hope you're right..

I can assure you I asked that question and I was told that I would remain on Anik-F2 for 12Mbps. She also told me the only thing that would change on my end was the modem. Same TRIA/dish. Do I trust the customer service person that told me this? Not 100%, but that's what they said. I do believe Anik-F2 is capable of more than 5Mbps since it is just a "bent pipe" transfer medium, but the ground equipment has to changed.
    That will be great if it turns out to be true...so far, the info published by ViaSat does not support what you were "told" by the CSR.
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

texexec,

Grumpy listed the prices and FAP limits (combined upload/download), which have been floating around the forum for a month or more. I will likely go with Plan 2, but that decision isn't made until install time (April/May).

$149 is the total cost of my upgrade which includes new modem/installation. A two year contract was required.
    I currently own my equipment, but the upgrade and new contract will add ~$10/month equipment rental, but I will likely pay the $219 for a "lifetime" agreement.

I didn't ask about the cost of going over the FAP limit, as I have not done so in +6 years on WildBlue and is not an issue for me.

I didn't ask about options for suspending the service. It is not a concern for me.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if this would require a contract. I guess I will see if I can get some type of over the air service from Verizon, then decide if I want to commit to another 2 yrs contract with wild blue. I was aware of the 'problems' associated with sat internet before coming to wildblue as I used a one way sat connection prior. (which had 'free' dl time after midnight) I switched to wildblue so I could keep my phone line free.

to me so far my connection with wildblue has been very inconsistent and and many times runs SLOW. Not because I am over my limit or close to it. I had less problems with losing signal in the rain with my previous connection. Speed tests many times are around dial up speeds. At times my verizon hot spot (which I lost when I got my Iphone) was faster and more consistent then this connection. So I really do need to see if something else is available since the cost for wildblue is high and really doesn't deliver as I thought it would.
    Since we want to contact our disabled child who needs a video phone a different service may be what we need. The lowering of bandwidth by this service means it probably is not a good option for using with skpe. Perhaps it's time to contact my phone company again...

Quote Originally Posted by wm4bama View Post
    Edit: Actually, after checking previous announcements, I think all you can get on Anik-F2 will be the original plans, up-to 1.5mbs with the Pro Pak..
    ViaSat's documents have said it both ways on Anik-F2:

DOCSIS Only (no 5 mbps service)

DOCSIS/WiMAX (5 mbps service on WiMax: SB2)

Their maps show Anik F2 being used on western beams as DOCSIS/WiMAX

Most all larger companies use tech writers who don't understand the tech...they are English writers.
    WB-1: 163 Riverside, CA Gateway: Denver AcceleNet Server

Yes, that quote was from a January post before all the details of Exede5 was known.

If you look at the first map at this link you can distinguish which satellite is used for Exede5 service, beams in light orange with two digit numbers have augmented beams from Anik-F2, example 63, and the three digit beam numbers have augmented beams from WB-1, example 163 (your beam)..

http://www.wildbluetools.com/content/dealer/email/Beam_map-high-mid-low.html