Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teryu1's usage meter thread

Exclamation Teryu1's usage meter thread

Where's the part of the survey that asks about how WB is tracking our bandwidth usage wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Teryu1 View Post
    Where's the part of the survey that asks about how WB is tracking our bandwidth usage wrong?
    WB's meter is accurate.... I've been tracking usage with my router for about two years and not once did WB's meter show more usage than I actually used. If anything it shows less.
    WB1 | Beam 101 | Seattle Gateway | Pro Pack | Previous Customer Nov 2008 - Dec 2012 | DSL since Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by inthewoods View Post
    WB's meter is accurate.... I've been tracking usage with my router for about two years and not once did WB's meter show more usage than I actually used. If anything it shows less.
    Cept it's not, been reading our bandwidth usage wrong for about 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Teryu1 View Post
    Cept it's not, been reading our bandwidth usage wrong for about 2 months.
    And how do you verify it's wrong?
    WB1 | Beam 101 | Seattle Gateway | Pro Pack | Previous Customer Nov 2008 - Dec 2012 | DSL since Dec 2012

Teryu1, I moved this out of the survey thread and into its own separate thread. We are very careful about our usage monitoring being accurate. We are constantly monitoring our own systems to ensure this. Why do you think yours is measured wrong? Thank you.
    Official WildBlue and Exede forum moderator
    Please note I have changed usernames to "Exede Steve", and do not use this account anymore. Thank you.

Because my family has hardly done anything online for the last 2 months and our bandwidth usage still hasn't gone below 74%.

Can you send me a private message here with your name and the phone number associated with your account?

Do you have a wireless router, and if so, have you verified that it's secured against outside access? That's to ensure your neighbors and nobody else is using your Internet connection.

(I'll be out of the office on Friday, so I may not be able to reply until Monday)
    Official WildBlue and Exede forum moderator
    Please note I have changed usernames to "Exede Steve", and do not use this account anymore. Thank you.

I have also been wondering about the usage meter. I was FAP'd on July 7. I started using the WB Bandwidth Monitor around July 12. Previously I was just using the bandwidth monitor provided by WildBlue, but it did not display an actual amount or percentage. With the WB Bandwidth Monitor, I can only see my usage since I installed it, so I have no idea when we actually went over and what caused it.

When I was FAP'd on July 7, I unplugged my modem & router - no power to it at all. It has now been almost 30 days since I turned off the modem, and I am still at 110% of usage. It has dropped, but it is dropping very slowly. I can't believe that I am still over 100% with no usage whatsoever since July 7. In the months leading up to being FAP'd, I checked my usage regularly, and was always around 60%-70%. And then suddenly I went to 133%. Now I can't seem to get below 100%! I hope it drops soon and fast, since my 30 rolling days are almost up.

My usage Meter has been screwy too. For the past 3 months, its been slowly building up in usage and has not once reset. It's been more than 60 days that I've been watching it and no signs of usage "reset". However, its supposed to be based on a 30 day rolling cycle. I think that cycle is broken. Because its doing nothing but increasing steadily and I have not been using a lot of bandwidth on a steady basis in this time. If that meter tops to Max Exceeded without resetting, you bet I'll be on the phone with WB reading someone the riot act.

Thru Death's Door on Washington Island in Wisconsin

Wildblue FAP volume usage never resets. Wildblue's FAP volume is the rolling total over the last thirty days. On day thirty-one, the previous day one's total rolls off. In another way of thinking of it, every day the difference between today and thirty-one days ago is is added. If that difference is always positive, if today's usage is always greater than the usage thirty-one days ago, then it will always increase.

If your daily usage is always less than your FAP volume limit divided by thirty days then you will never go over 100%. BUT IT NEVER RESETS! It is not on a "cycle". It has no period (the inverse of a cycle).

Put yet another way, and the expression clearest to me; FAP volume is the summation from day=one ago to day=thirty-one ago. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...wiki/Summation
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.