Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ViaSat-1

1. Question ViaSat-1

I know that a some of these qustions can't be answered yet, but I sitill firured that some might be!
    1. So, when she goes up, how long will it take to go active? Right away?
    2. Will us that are already customers see a speed increase?
    3. Will it still lag really bad? (I ping around 2000 in A.V.A.)
    4. Price jump?

Thank you!

2. Default

All have been previously discussed here or there on WildblueWorld.com Forums.

1. Not right away. I would guess six weeks to three months for commissioning.
    2. No. Nothing will change for existing accounts immediately. Depending on marketing/migrating policies, the load on the existing satellites/spot beams may go down and that may marginally improve speeds on accounts heavily affected by loading.
    3. There are a number of components of latency ("lag"). The largest is fixed by the location of geosynchronous orbit and lightspeed. Another, the terrestrial internet 'circuit' is not under WB's control. A third, WB's Demand Assigned Multiple Access DAMA protocol is under their control somewhat, but cannot go away until we get individual spot beams.
    4. The speculation has been of the same pricing structure. That must be balanced with the declining real value of the dollar and ViaSat/WB's participation in international commerce. The US$ dollar has to compete with world currency values.
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

3. Default

Are you saying that we won't see a speed increase? I don't get it. So only new accounts get those fast speeds that WB keeps advertising?

4. Default

That I know, WB offers "up to" speeds (equivalent to less-than), Value (512/128), Select (1.0/200), Pro (1.5/256) from its three satellites and their accounts.

I seldom run a speed test but have seen actual speeds in excess of these advertised speeds and that through WB-1 from Laredo, Texas.

I don't believe that existing accounts will see an increase in their nominal speeds. We do not yet know what nominal speeds and FAP volumes will be available with ViaSat-1 accounts. It has been suggested that speeds an order of magnitude faster and much larger FAP volumes may be available.
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

Thumbs up Scenario for existing customers seeing faster speeds..

Quote Originally Posted by Spar117 View Post
    Are you saying that we won't see a speed increase? I don't get it. So only new accounts get those fast speeds that WB keeps advertising?
    The possibility that many existing customers will migrate to the new ViaSat-1 satellite when it's operational leaves two possibilities:

1. Wildblue will sell those "open slots" from customers that migrated to ViaSat-1 to new customers and our spot beams will continue to get congested in the peak evening hours and we will see no improvements in our existing service.

2. No, or much fewer, customers will sign up for the "open slots" created when existing customers migrate to ViaSat-1...in this case we should see improved speeds in the peak evening hours...maybe even to the point where we actually get our maximum "up-to" speeds for the package we pay for.

Far out possibility...there will be so many existing customers migrate to ViaSat-1 and no new customers to fill the empty slots that a new "up-to" speed package with higher Fap limits can be offered by WB for those of us that choose to stay on our existing satellite...say like a 3mbs, 30gb Fap, package....as I said, this is far out and wishful thinking on my part..lol..
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

6. Default

All,
    It probably goes without saying that the launch of the ViaSat-1 satellite will greatly improve and transform the types of services and speeds we will be able to offer.

The launch is scheduled for July. We will be communicating in great detail throughout the year with updates about speeds, packages, prices, upgrading, etc, etc. I understand a lot of people have questions about all these things. We're still working out some of the details, but I can guarantee we'll be very forthcoming and communicative here on the forum and elsewhere when we have information we can share. We really appreciate the participation and questions! Stay tuned throughout the year for more information to come!
    Official WildBlue and Exede forum moderator
    Please note I have changed usernames to "Exede Steve", and do not use this account anymore. Thank you.

7. Default

Thanks Steve. I'm sure that you and all of VS/WB are busier than a one legged man in a paper kicking contest. Heh heh heh. Or something like that.

Winter is really hanging in here, mild though it has been. I put the summer tires on the car on Saturday in preparation for our Florida Bike Safari trip that starts after Church on Easter Sunday. Now, six - ten inches of heavy wet snow are predicted for Wednesday. That's the wussest kind of snow. I've got the little wood stove roaring in the garage while I tune bicycles and pack the car.

Thanks for all the world that Wildblue brings to us.

Thanks for the Launch update Steve! I heard about the delay and was really dissappointed, thought it would be August or something but things are looking up! And, as for a question, will we really be able to stream HD Video, VoIP, Online Gaming, and stuff like the 4min video says? Thanks.
    WB-1 Gateway 101... ViaSat PLEASE do something about the packages! Make them more reasonable!

9. Default

Again, as has been previously discussed, ViaSat-1 infrastructure is planned to support specifically Netflix video (I was amazed to learn that Netflix alone consumes ~20% of USA bandwidth) and HD is just a larger datastream.

http://www.viasat.com/broadband-sate...works/viasat-1

http://www.viasat.com/files/assets/B...ellite9-09.pdf

VOIP support is planned, to the point of buying technology from a third party, SoftSwitch, discussed on ViaSat's web site.

http://www.viasat.com/broadband-sate...-voice-over-ip

Gaming is supported now.

The fundamental latencies of satellite communication are inescapable, lightspeed, DAMA and terrestrial delays.

Here is ViaSat's marketing video for those too unlettered for textural information.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RA78RAnCJ8w
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 04-18-2011 at 06:11 PM.

http://www.xconomy.com/san-diego/201...t-1-satellite/
    Launch for Mid-May. Read the article at that link for info
    WB-1 Gateway 101... ViaSat PLEASE do something about the packages! Make them more reasonable!