Thread: nice speed but no web cam

1. Question nice speed but no web cam

I changed from hughes net as I was always being FAP. But with them I always had voice and cam in instant messenger programs and was able to watch my security cameras at work. With the new wildblue - have had since Feb 2011 - I only get webcam and security cameras between midnight and around 0900 ny time. I'm on the pro plan and would think with this it should work all the time. I changed from hughes net after many years as i was always restricted I couldn't even update software. I like the new speed i have for uploads and downloads as I do pc repair remotely all over the world but come on now why restrict the voice and web cam at certian times - have called many times even spoke to supervisors and all told we don't support this only internet - hog wash - if that was true then it won't work at all. Maybe as a tech person I've missed a setting in the registry or something. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sarge

2. Default

WB does not restrict your speeds at certain times...the problem is your spot beam has many more customers that share the fixed bandwidth available on your beam..

I'm surprised that your beam gets congested by 9:00am...it should be around 5pm before real congestion is noticeable...of course each spot beam has different customers with different habits...but normally on M-F the beams are not so congested between 11pm-midnight to around 4 or 5 in the afternoon..beams really start to get congested when kids arrive home from school and even more when adults get home from work, and it's the slowest from after dinner to bedtime..

With the Pro Pak you should get =>200kbs on upload tests 24/7..if not, your dish is not properly aligned to the satellite (line-of-sight).

If your upload speed is =>200bs then test your download speed...you should get =>1500kbs at 6-8am, which means any slowdown after that is caused by beam congestion..

Run your tests here...do not use the Smart-Test option, run separate upload and download tests, and select the 1mb file size for upload test and 3mb file size for download test...this will average out the normal satellite signal latency.

http://testmy.net/

There's nothing we can do about beam congestion except gripe to WB for having so many customers on the same spot beam...we all suffer from this...

WB will launch and activate ViaSat-1 later this year and this new satellite promises new technology that may solve some of these congestion problems...we'll have to wait and see...

Welcome to the Wildblue World...
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sgthouser View Post
    why restrict the voice and web cam at certian times - have called many times even spoke to supervisors and all told we don't support this only internet - hog wash - if that was true then it won't work at all.
    http://help.wildblue.net/kb/article/4872&n=1
    Quote Originally Posted by WB
    5. Will Voice-over-IP solutions work with my WildBlue service?

At this time, WildBlue does not transport VoIP traffic on the WildBlue network. This includes internet-based phone systems or voice connections over an instant messenger application.
    Use the search function for the "Ventrilo" thread. Their fanboyz just couldn't believe that they weren't being personally disrespected for their VOIP not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by WB
    7. May customers use a webcam on the WildBlue network?

WildBlue customers may use a web camera over the WildBlue network for person-to-person interactive communications (such as instant messengers) but not as web or video server.
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

4. Default

Thanks everyone for some insight. I ran the speed test on 24 MAR 11 at 1652 and the results are as follows:
    Copied and Ready to Paste! : :::.. Upload Test Results ..::: Upload Connection is:: 100 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB) Upload Speed is:: 13 kB/s Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Dallas, TX USA) Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/5RthpO Test Time:: 2011-03-24 15:01:58 GMT -7 1MB Upload in 1 Minutes - 1GB Upload in ~22 Hours - 2X faster than 56K Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 83.062 seconds to complete Running at 101% of hosts average (Wildblue.net) User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15 [!]

Copied and Ready to Paste! : :::.. Download Test Results ..::: Download Connection is:: 1072 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 3 MB) Download Speed is:: 134 kB/s Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Dallas, TX USA) Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/zf9Zwd Test Time:: 2011-03-24 15:03:50 GMT -7 1MB Download in 7.64 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~2 Hours - 19X faster than 56K Tested from a 3 MB file and took 23.479 seconds to complete Running at 68% of hosts average (unknown) User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15 [!]

I ran the test several times these are the last results the first rated me on upload at 12%.

Thanks,
    Sarge

5. Default Bad dish alignment

Quote Originally Posted by sgthouser View Post
    Upload Test Results ..::: Upload Connection is:: 100 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB) Upload Speed is:: 13 kB/s
    This is less than half of the speed you should be getting with the Pro Pak...I get better than that with the Value Pak.

Unless you had some bad weather conditions at your location you have a misaligned dish...not just a little misalignment but a lot..

Since you just started your service you are still under warranty.. call them back to do a realignment and don't let them leave until your upload speed is =>200kbs...

Hard to judge your download results until your dish is properly aligned.
    WB Legacy 2/12/09, 2/23/12 to Exede12-1 SB 342, Albuquerque Gateway, AcceleNet servers Denver, Dell Desktop XP-Home SP3, D-Link DIR655 Router, Dell Laptop Vista Home Basic SP2, Chrome browser .