Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming

Default Streaming

Has anyone tried to stream movies from Netflix to their TV. What are the pros and cons?

Don't try it unless you want to get FAPPED. Read up on the Fair Access Policy here http://www.wildblue.com/fap/
    Ron ~ Wildblue Select Pak since 01-2006, Anik F2 Beam 26, service through NRTC, Dell XPS, 2Gig Ram, XP Pro, Router DD-WRT- WRT54GL, Laptop, Dell XPS - Windows 7

Thru Death's Door on Washington Island in Wisconsin

A bit more precisely, you won't be FAPped for trying streaming/video downloads. As I understand it, a movie file will be four-ish GB, that could certainly be tolerated once in a thirty day period.

As to NetFlix, like so many 'subscription' based enterprises, their service declines and their costs increase. I have been a 'USPS-sneaker net' subscriber for about as long as I have lived here on my Island, on the lowest cost plan. In the beginning I was impressed by the service, not so now, less so for the cost increase announced this week without a concomitant increase in service. Between that and the pathetic and bathetic movies being produced, we will terminate and use the local library for videos.

I recently received a Project Gutenberg 30,000(!) volume DVD of zipped books. Hasta lumbago NetFlix!
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

The putative pros are personal. The cons are many. 3 - 5 GB per flick is one. Buffering stuttering at 1.5 Mbps is another.
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

I rented Bucket List from iTunes last night and it was 1.4 gigs
    Pretty big bite out of FAP

You'll eat a month's bandwidth in one setting if you aren't careful then have to sit for 30 days with FAP'd Internet. That's the big concern.
    Now on T-1 service; enjoyed my time at WildBlue and still a HughesNet defectee.

Quote Originally Posted by rrrperry View Post
    Has anyone tried streaming from netflix to their TV? What are the pros and the cons? Thanks
    You can technically do it, but it will take you close to, or over, your usage threshold very quickly. I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with our Fair Access Policy if you haven't already. It's on our website at www.wildblue.com/legal, and also there is a huge section about it here on this forum.
    Last edited by WB Steve; 11-29-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Merged two threads and removed duplicate
    Official WildBlue and Exede forum moderator
    Please note I have changed usernames to "Exede Steve", and do not use this account anymore. Thank you.

In re NetFlix; http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-...cast-toll.html
    Quote Originally Posted by EXCERPT
    For Netflix, the dustup could affect its popular video-streaming offering, to which it is pushing customers to save on the cost of sending rental DVDs in the mail.

Netflix declined to comment.

Starting next year, Level 3 will become Netflix's primary network for piping Internet video, although Netflix also will continue to rely on systems run by Limelight Networks Inc. and Akamai Technologies Inc.

If Level 3 is forced to pay more to send movies to homes that rely on Comcast for Internet service, it eventually could try to pass on the costs to Netflix and its subscribers.

As more of its 17 million subscribers embrace Internet streaming, Netflix's service has emerged as the biggest source of Internet traffic in the U.S. during peak evening periods[emphasis DH], according to a recent study by Sandvine Inc.
    As I said earlier in this thread, NetFlix is already raising its prices, $16 to $20 per month for me, for sneaker-net, even while my satisfaction with the service is declining.

The mention of Akamai is amusing, it is second only to G00gle for its massive filtering files on my machine.

You can do it, once a month, twice on Pro, assuming you do not DL other things that month PERIOD. Basically don't do it unless you plan to use it once a month for movie night and turn the modem off the rest of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoods View Post
    You can do it, once a month, twice on Pro, assuming you do not DL other things that month PERIOD. Basically don't do it unless you plan to use it once a month for movie night and turn the modem off the rest of the month.
    How you figure?
    Don't see how 1 movie could exceed 2 gigs, someone correct me if I am off base

Sure wouldn't want to watch a lot of them but one could watch a few a month and have plenty for simply web browsing on the Pro Plan...