Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandwidth requirement for live feed

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    All I will say is wait a couple months before you do.
    Yeah wait till they announce the new plans. Download speed will be greatly improved but I'm more wondering what kind of changes they are making to improve latency.

Quote Originally Posted by cour1988 View Post
    Yeah wait till they announce the new plans. Download speed will be greatly improved but I'm more wondering what kind of changes they are making to improve latency.

Being the latency issue has been thrown around so much this is sort of a futile thread. Being there is an aprox latency of 1/2 second between you the gateway back to you that cannot have much done I really do not what more can be done being we have not gotten over that whole speed of light thing.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Being the latency issue has been thrown around so much this is sort of a futile thread. Being there is an aprox latency of 1/2 second between you the gateway back to you that cannot have much done I really do not what more can be done being we have not gotten over that whole speed of light thing.
    Well the early days of WildBlue had latency around 400-800ms. That's about average for other satellite providers too from what I've read. But WildBlue has latency from 800 to...geez 3000ms sometimes. That's a BIG difference. They need to figure out a way to optimize that to the fullest. I don't understand the wide range of latency readings.

4. Default

There are three components to latency, the immutable lightspeed latency, Demand Assigned Multiple Access latency ,terrestrial internet latency. Wildblue has no control over lightspeed latency or terrestrial internet travel time and small control over DAMA latency
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by cour1988 View Post
    Well the early days of WildBlue had latency around 400-800ms. That's about average for other satellite providers too from what I've read. But WildBlue has latency from 800 to...geez 3000ms sometimes. That's a BIG difference. They need to figure out a way to optimize that to the fullest. I don't understand the wide range of latency readings.

Several things contribute to that. From the traffic on your gateway to internet traffic to the speed of your computer to the speed of your browser. Just wait a couple more months.

Shane - thanks! I would guess that, by then, there will be far more urgent concerns, for all of us, as we continue to see the internet, and many of our other freedoms disintegrate, one by one...

......after all it is just internet (or tv), not life or death.......credited to an installer that I knew....

8. Default

Well, the internet is not in anyway just, especially for us that live in remote rural sites.

My wireline telephone hangs from the same poles as the power line, both of which have been down for more than twenty-four hours within the past year. My satellite link is the only communication link for which reliability I am solely responsible.

Selling Wildblue satellite internet service as just trivial is wrong and dishonest as an excuse for poor service. Wildblue, please take note!
    Forum defenestrator and not a Wildblue employee. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.