Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wireless router problem

Unhappy wireless router problem

My Wildblue works well, but I hooked up a Netgear WRG614v7 wireless router so that I could use my laptop. Everything works ok, but my speed dropped to near dialup. Without the router, Toast.net says that my speed is about 500K. With the router hooked up, it drops to about 100K on my desktop even with the laptop shut off. Laptop is about the same with the desktop shut off. I assume that it is probably a setup problem, but thought I would ask if anyone else has been here before I start playing with parameters. Anyone have any good ideas??
    Thanks

When you hook your router into the network remember a couple things to do. Unplug your modem for at least 5 minutes and then plug it back in. This purges th IP address that your PC had with the modem. The next thing to do is make all the router connections with the router unplugged. When you make all the connections plug the router power cord in. It then shall acquire a new IP address from the modem and you should be all good after that!!

Thank you Shane. I will give that a try and let you know the results. I tried a Belkin router first, and it and Wildblue didn't get along well. The Netgear at least seems to work, even if it is slow.

Smile It Worked!!

Thank you, Shane. It worked!! Toast says now that I have 425K with the router hooked up. I expected that the router would drop my throughput a little, but not clear back to 100K. I can live with 425K.
    Thank You Again, Shane. Next time I come to Kennewick to visit my son, I will buy you a drink!

You are very welcome! Who knows it may have been me or one of my employees that installed you. If it was then you know that we do try to keep or customers happy. A happy customer is all any of us really want in the end!!

6. Default

as long as you are talking about routers, i would like to ask one. i see a lot of comments about not getting the cheap ones from wal mart. i see Belklin, and Netgear there for a lot less than places like Best Buy. can someone tell my what, or is there anything wrong with Wal Marts routers? i, thru a process of reading, have thought more towards a Netgear. they have the C, being the lower, N being middle, and N+, being the most. can i get an opinion from you, and possible some instructions, and advice on what else i would need to hook it up, like the post from Shane on what to do. i am very unfamiliar with this router stuff, and need some advice.....thanks, Jimmy

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo160 View Post
    as long as you are talking about routers, i would like to ask one. i see a lot of comments about not getting the cheap ones from wal mart. i see Belklin, and Netgear there for a lot less than places like Best Buy. can someone tell my what, or is there anything wrong with Wal Marts routers? i, thru a process of reading, have thought more towards a Netgear. they have the C, being the lower, N being middle, and N+, being the most. can i get an opinion from you, and possible some instructions, and advice on what else i would need to hook it up, like the post from Shane on what to do. i am very unfamiliar with this router stuff, and need some advice.....thanks, Jimmy
    there is nothing wrong with buying a name brand router from Wal-Mart but you will find a much better selection here;
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/Network....ame=Networking
    Fast shipping too!
    My Rig; E6850@3.8, DFI Blood Iron, 4Gigs GSkill,EVGA 9600GT, Liquid Cooled by Stinger
    Value Plan, AnikF2,Beam29

These are some Belkin routers that has problems with Wildblue. Belkin Router Model Number:
    • F5D8223-4v1
    • F5D8223-4v3
    • F5D8223-4v4
    Wildblue since Nov.2005/Exede March 2012/Apple Macbook Pro/Asus RT-N56U Router/

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo160 View Post
    Hi Jimmy,
    The router that I referenced in my original post (Netgear WRG614v7 ) has been working flawlessly since I followed Shane's procedure to hook it up. I had a Belkin first because that is what my local Radio Shack stocked. I spent a long weekend trying to make it work. I got it to work after updating the firmware, but it would drop out trying to download large files. I had Radio Shack order the Netgear because a friend was using one and having no problem. It cost about the same as the Belkin. I used the auto setup cd that came with it, and other than the slow down problem that Shane told me how fix, it has worked. I have also heard good reports on Linksys. This morning I downloaded a 40 megabyte file to update the new Norton Internet Security that I just installed, and no problems.
    Good Luck,
    Lowell

The poblems that I have heard about Walmart electronics in general is that they do have a tendency to stock and sell factory "seconds" and remanufactured equipment with labeling it as such. I do remember a few months ago that Walmart got in trouble over doing this.