Why is DISH Network changing its service provider to Google?
DISH Network and WildBlue have partnered with an industry leader to provide customers with a more efficient, more easily managed email service that offers increased functionality. We will transition all customers to Gmail powered by Google. However, customersí actual email addresses will not change, and will still be firstname.lastname@example.org. We are dedicated to completing this transition with minimal impact to our existing customers.
When is DISH Network transitioning its customers to Googleís Gmail?
Customers will be migrated to Googleís Gmail sometime during the first quarter of 2008. A specific date has yet to be set, but customers will receive notice through email communications to their Contact Email address.
How will WildBlue customers be affected by this migration to Google?
The migration to Google will have a minimal impact to existing customers:
- The actual email address (email@example.com) will not change.
- A customer using email clients such as Outlook or Outlook Express will need to change configuration settings when the migration is complete. Click here to see how.
- Because of the integration of Gmail with other Google services such as the Start Page and Calendar, DISH Network encourages customers to use the web mail interface to access their email.
- The customerís Contact List from the old server will transfer automatically to the new Google server.
- Any emails residing in the customerís Inbox, Sent, or Specialty folders will be transferred to the Google server. Junk folders will not be transferred.
- Personal webspace, including PageProducer and customer-created web pages at users.dishmail.net, will remain unchanged for those users that already have webspaces created - everything will work as it has before. For existing customers who did not create a webspace and for new customers,
the webspace feature is being temporarily discontinued. If webspace is needed, Google's free Pages service can be used, though it is not affiliated with nor supported by DISHMail.net. For instructions on how to set up Google Pages, click here.
How does the email migration to Gmail benefit existing DISH Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlue customers?
Google is an industry leader, and is known for their service reliability. When the migration to Google Mail is complete, customers will be using a more reliable email service with many additional features:
- Over 6 GB of storage space per email address
- 5 email addresses with Value and Select service packages and 10 email addresses for the Pro Package
- Access to Google functionality and future enhancements
Will customersí email addresses change during the migration to Google?
Customer email addresses did NOT change unless they contained characters such as #, $, *, ?, etc. that Google could not accept (very small percentage). All email addresses will remain firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can customers use their webmail during the migration to Google?
Customers will not experience any downtime on their email during the migration. Emails received during this timeframe will be sent to both the old and new email servers to ensure that DISHMail.net customers are not missing important email messages.
How will the migration to Google affect customersí Calendar Events?
When a customerís email is migrated to Google, the Calendar Events that were created in the old Customer Portal will be lost. There is no way to migrate the events to the new server, so customers will have to manually create a new calendar using Google Calendar.
How will the migration to Google affect customersí Contact List items?
Customers' Contact List items will be automatically imported into Google's webmail.
How will the migration to Google affect customers using an email client such as Outlook or Outlook Express?
Customers using email clients such as Outlook or Outlook Express will need to change configuration settings when the migration is complete. Click here to see how.
DISH Network encourages customers to use the Gmail web mail interface to access their email because of the integration of Gmail with other Google services such as the Start Page and Calendar.
What happens to emails saved in specialized folders when information is migrated to Google?
Any emails that customers have saved in the Inbox, Sent, or Specialty folders will be migrated to the new server. No important information will be lost.
Note: Information in Junk or Trash folders will not be transferred.